Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: New single ender

I totally disagree with the previous comments regarding the Meadowlarks being difficult to drive, that is patently incorrect, they present quite a benign impedance curve and work superbly with tube amps...o.k 3 watts is really stretching it with any 89dB efficient speaker, unless your room is tiny and you only listen to acoustic vocal material !
But I would not hesistate to suggest that virtually any 845 SET would deliver the goods, I actually use both an EL519 intergrated and 845 set monoblocks with my Meadowlarks, and can hardly turn up the wick in my 18x 36 room for prolonged periods, more than enough level and plenty of dynamic punch...both cost less than $3000 US (secondhand)....neither of these single ended amps are wanting compared to my Bryston high power monoblocks which are now longtime ago relegated to my closet....:-))
Take any advice here with a pinch of salt, best thing to do would be to borrow a "big tube" SET and give it a spin with your Meadowlarks, they are beautiful sounding easy to drive speakers and there's no need to go to ultra efficient speakers unless you want to get seriously in to flea powered sets...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.