Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Poll: would a store totally devoted to S.E.T. work?

yeh, nice idea dude, but it ain't gonna happen.
1. Average punters haven't a clue about tubes or efficient speakers to even consider the SET route.
2. Since HT stereo has become a smaller and smaller market.
3. To hold the stock would be unrealistic, as to offer a real listening environment
they would need to have at least 3 or 4 makes to compare, and offer after sales and repairs as well. Too much investment in a small market I reckon.

The only way it could work would be in say New York or London, and have a huge amount of potential clients who could afford the gear and make the trip to the store.

On a similar note, I do find it really annoying how some Linn dealers are blackmailed/told to push only Linn products in the same price range. In a real hifi store, it would not happen.

The only way SET survives is enough folk out there actually get to hear the difference. And that's the key. Get more store to offer at least one really nice and affordable SET efficient speaker combo. If the main manufacturers of SET offered a demo model in main street dealers, it would bring results. Cause folk need to hear for themselves. It is all about relearning what they have been told re; specs, watts, the krell thing, the multiway speaker thing.

It should happen, as the 5 channel HT revolution calmes, the SACS thing and the MP3 thing which crucifies the sound. people should return to Valves, like vinyl has hung on. The worry is the younger generation. My son has no intention of buying music, why? When he can download the tracks he wants for nothing. And it's typical of most 18 year olds. So why would they pay for a decent system? They can't see the point in buying a CD. Maybe we as parents need to educate them? Convienience v sound quality. Buying v stealing music = killing the artists.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.