Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Amplifier design and quality parts, does it matter?

I have had a few interesting discussions with fellow audiophiles recently on the limitations of SET amplifiers with regards to the design of a specific unit. is the sound quality (not power as assuming 1 x 300b is 9 watts) you can get out of the amp ultimately limited primarily by the design, and secondly by the parts?

Does it even improve sound quality at all by upgrading from standard say Elna caps to Black gates, resisitors to tantalums, or are we missing the point?

I am thinking if you/we buy a SET amp that was designed and voiced with high quality parts (BGs, best transformers, Tants, silver wire everywhere) and manufactured and sold at 3 levels and 3 price points, would it be like this?:

I want a fast coupe but don't have the money, so instead of buying the GT version,
I get the L version. Then I replace the tires, upgrade the suspension and then
soup up the engine. Then I have the GT version, because it was designed to take the power and stresses in the chassis. If I buy a saloon say, and do the same to that, the chassis will never handle as good, and the engine will never be as powerful as the coupe. See what I am thinking?

I used to have a 'de-commissioned' rally car, made legal for the road, and it smoked just about everything out there. It's a thought.....

And if we bought a 'well designed' SET amp, can it be economically and logically taken to a higher level by buying better quality parts?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Amplifier design and quality parts, does it matter? - astrostar59 00:36:40 02/19/07 (20)

You can not post to an archived thread.