Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Almarro A205A MkI vs MkII

I guess the question is, what speakers are you using?

Notwithstanding all the tales of mods and tubes, the stock A205a MkII is an amazing example of balance and synergy bone stock. I once modded my Korneff 45SET with teflon caps, polyprop cap for PS, etc, but I'm very hesitant to touch the Almarro. The occuring thought is, why fix something that isn't broken? I do NOT want to change the tonal balance, perspective, and the gestalt of the stock unit at all.

The same extends for stock Sovtek tubes. I can't believe how "right" the lowly Sovteks sound on this thing. I've rolled everything under the sun, including Sylvania Black plate TM 5751, Tele, Amperex, Mullard, but what's working the best in my setup is the bone stock Sovtek EL84 and common-as-dirt GE 5751 5-star.

Knowing myself, I'll probably end up trying different caps eventually, but I don't want to lose the balance with stock caps. Luckily, there's a rumor that another A205 MkII I have on order will arrive with special mounting (screw-on?) plates to swap out caps easily, but this order is moving slow as snails so far :(

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Almarro A205A MkI vs MkII - Jon L 10:51:49 02/15/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.