Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

your amp

The 26 is a great driver tube. I think John built maybe 4 of the 6sn7/26/300b. Three were built as 26/300bs but the 26 is really insufficient to drive the 300b so a 6sn7 pre was added. I think I saw another one here 6sn7/26/300b on one chassis and that is probably just a great amp.

I think it was about 3 years ago after John had built one or two of the 26/300bs and I was listening to it outdoors and I was totally riveted by the interesting sound. I guess I knew as early as then what the 26 had to offer.

That is what I am listening to right now at my desktop. I'm listening to the 26/300b without the pre and it puts out only a watt or two. But it is a heavenly sound: a pure dht. I have it at my desktop with dx3's which can have a shout but I am not noticing it since I recently put this together here. I'm noticing just a great sound.

I'm listening to Charlie Hadyn's 'American Dreams', and besides the whole presentation of the music, the 26 gives the sax, Michael Brecker is playing here, just the bite, pique, whatever it is called, to give it that grabbing feeling which that instrument has.

I put this set-up here so I can review cds on the internet that I am considering to buy. It brings out all of the subtley in the music. It brings out the feeling intent of the artist. The 26 does amazing things to many of the output tubes including the 300b, 45, 50 and vt52.

With that amp you also have the opportunity to try different preamps instead of the 6sn7, but you will find that the 6sn7 is the best pre for it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.