Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: SET and planar magnetic speakers

I do not have the most discerning ear, but I compared a 300B to a 2A3 on the same kit speaker that uses two 6" mid ranges and a Raven ribbon and the 2A3 sounded better. The 45 sounded better still. Has anyone heard any more powerful tubes that rival the 45 SET?
An 833A is an amusing possibility if it would not shatter even the strongest planar magnetic ribbon and it would probably have to be driven by a 211 and that by possibly a 45. But all those stages of amplification would be such a compromise.
Perhaps the active crossover at 3000Hz to a Raven tweeter is the best way to use the 45. But other ideas that circumvent most of the crossover and cabinet problens are theoretically fascinating if they could do better. It is always advantages combined with disadvantages.
I very much appreciate reading opinions people have taken the time to share. Thank you.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SET and planar magnetic speakers - Barney Vincelette 15:42:13 02/09/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.