Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: SET and planar magnetic speakers

I run an Art Audio Jota BXLS High Current version (24watts) amp to drive a pair of ML Summits. Sounds beautiful. THe amp is currently using Emission Labs 520 tubes but I've also used KR Audio 300BKLS in this setup.

I had the opportunity to try a Cary 300SEI amp (16watts) on these speakers and to my surprise they sounded sweet and played at moderate levels. I didn't play it loud though.

I just recieved a Sophia Electric Baby 10 watt amp and will see if the Summits 92db sensitivity will work with this amp.

Keep in mind that this ML model (and the Vantage model) have internal amps to drive the woofers making them literally biamped electrostats. This and the newer panel design helps a great deal to allow them to work with low powered sets.

Otherwise traditional biamping for the woofers is probably the only way that a SET amp will work with an Electrostat. The combo is great if the gear has a good boost of current behind it and doesn't have to drive the woofers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SET and planar magnetic speakers - Spectre1 19:56:47 02/07/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.