Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

EML issues, first WE experience, 300b tubes

I little story of some 300B tubes Ive had the pleasure of using.

I used these in a pair of Don Allen modded LD+ amps, the older ones with the grey paint and standard OPTs. They have regulated heaters. Using GZ37 rectifiers, RCA black plate 6BK7 inputs and the various 300Bs Im going to share about.

All this was prompted when one of my EML 300Bs started doing something odd. I was jamming Aerosmith live, Little South of Sanity, really loud and noticed a slight pop sound from one of my speakers. I wasnt sure if I really heard something or maybe the CD burped or whatever. But then it happened again. So I went over by the amp, waited and watched for a while and then it did it again and when it did I noticed a small spark go from what looked like the heater to the screen. I noticed it only seemed to do this when the music was REALLY loud. So I turned the volume down to normal loud levels and let it play for a while, 2 hrs, and it never happened. Any thoughts? I was thinking of putting the tubes on agon for like $80 and tell of all this and suggest only those who listen at lower levels consider them. Thoughts? They still sound fine and only have about 350 hrs on em. I bought them second hand from a guy said he only put 100 hrs on em (I paid $250). All these stories of EML reliability seem well founded. Too bad as the tubes sound pretty darn good.

So I went back to my $150 Shuguang 300B-98C mesh plate tubes. VA rebranded these too back in the day. Really great sounding tubes especially considering the cost. However now I was curious about an old favorite.

About 4 years ago a neighbor of my grandparents (who I bought a car from) passed on and unknown to me was that he worked for Bell labs many many years ago. What a shame as when I bought my car from him we just stood in his garage drinking Capital Brewery beer and talking about beer and the good old days. Id love to have heard some of his work stories too. This nice fellows kids heard I was into old electronics and offered me MANY boxes of tubes, parts, books so on he had in his basement. Well in one of these boxes was a bunch of old WE tubes including a pair of 1968 300Bs and some 274, 275, 310a and many more. Id put off trying these for many reasons including having my heart broke if they were DOA. Well today I worked up the courage to give em a whirl (Im sure many think me nuts for waiting this long). What can I say, it was worth the wait! Ive read so many mixed opinions of these new and old WE 300Bs. Truth is I wanted them to sound lesser so I wouldnt have a hard time parting with em. I cannot say this is the case to my ears. They sound amazing! What struck me most was just how clear these things sound. Theres just so much micro detail and a black background. Also seem to have much power. Seeming to be able to go louder than the EML and 98C tubes. I HATE IT! I want to be able to move these but man, all the hype is looking true. They are not at all mushy, bloom, weak in the bass, rolled bla bla.....

The next 300B I really want to try are the TJ Mesh tubes. I know Don loves em and they seem to have a good rep with nearly everyone. I would consider the KR but they seem a bit pricy. Plus my amp doesnt run tubes hard at all so I dont think the BXL would be good idea, not that they dont make a regular version.

Yeah right now Im listening to Cat Stevens Teaser and the Firecat. These WEs just sing. I HATE IT!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - EML issues, first WE experience, 300b tubes - 2chJunkie 14:45:39 02/07/07 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.