Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Thx for the info. I can be patient sometimes...:-).

When I started looking for tweeter amps, i thought on theory that a transistor amp would be best because of specs and above 3Khz, how could it matter? I was so wrong, although all of the amps did a decent job. I still don't know why a tweeter adds so much to the rendition of the spatial presentation.
Class AB transistor: dry, dusty, and flat
Class A transistor: better tone and lustre, but still flat and a little glarey
Class A push pull Baby Sophia: much better space and tone
Fox ASL 6c33 SET: dramatically better space, a but the tone not that great
Agape 300b: Like the spice from the Dune fantasy, opened up space, tone and timbre to make a nice psychidelic breakfast, but lacked some immediacy and lustre.
Korneff 45: not as much space as the 300b, but a lovely melting sheen and texture to the tonalities and authority, like "this is THE tone, accept it."

Another good option is a single ended tube rectified el 84, which I use on the tweeter of my center channel when it is in operation. It probably falls somewhere between the 300b and the 45, although a 300b does that space thing so well. These can be had really cheap, I got a pair of Akai mono pulls from the old tape decks and they sound wonderful both full range and as tweeter amps, $150 and they can be found for half that. They also have a little more power (5 watts) if you are using very large arrays ot tweeters in series.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thx for the info. I can be patient sometimes...:-). - cjfrbw 12:23:41 02/03/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.