Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: wyethec sapphire 300B, who listened?

I would like to say first, I haven't heard the wyethec amps, but I would doubt if they are SET, not push pull, that they will provide realistic dynamics with 89db speakers. Are they 2 x 300b or 4 x 300b. I think you will get volume, probably high enough to listen in the upper comfort zone in a normal room. However dynamics and sound stage will be compresses, making the SET route pretty pointless.

I would buy them if you love the sound, but allow for a quick speaker change in your budget. There are plenty of high efficiency speakers around these days, Audio Note and Zingali come to mind.

I love SET, and once you here it in your setting/system you will not go back. But you need to seriously get the rest of your gear sorted to gain the benefits. I have found the more Audio Note I have put in my system the more synergy it has, and the higher the quality level.

In respect to a post here, I would strongly argue that I have found my Audio Note amps are NOT coloured. They are much closer to a live performance (accurate) than anything else I have had in my system, tubes PP and many SS amps, or heard in my price range at shows etc.

The thing to remember with hifi is if it moves you buy it if you can afford it. Reading stuff, looking at reviews is only part of the story. If it makes the hair stand on the back of your neck, you will be happy listening to it, for hours.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: wyethec sapphire 300B, who listened? - astrostar59 12:50:38 02/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.