Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Not to go over it again but remember

Unless you know what the specs are for each set of OPTs, you are comparing apples and oranges. It is like comparing different lenses without knowing the apertures and then saying one is better than the other (you may like the results better but is it a better lense?) It depends on lots of things. Also not unlike a low output moving coil cartrige or a step up transformer for that matter. you can take a set of low output cartridges with different internal impedances and run them through a step up transformer designed for a low ohm cartridge and you will find interesting differences. What one prefers may have little to do with 'the better catridge' and could in fact represent a better interface between cartridge and step up transformer. Change the transformer to a higher ohm version from the same manufacture to isolate the variables and the preference would likely change as well to a different cartridge.
You need certain constants to make a real comparison in order to dtermine 'which is better'. < personal preference aside > Also, those Webster OPTs were designed for PP duty and I imagine some of the others that you compared them to were designed for a SE amp.

Not starting up an old debate but it is likely some distortion artifacts that give the Webster their strong characteristic. (Don't view distortion in this case in the worst sense of the word as there is no such thing as a distortion free preamp > amp. Though the Halcro SS amps reportedly have very little measurable distortion) I kn ow very little about amp circuits, but I do know that different tubes want to see a different primary impedance and these Webster OPTs have been used with everything from a 45 (VT-52, 183), 2A3, 300B, 50, PX25, and 845 and the 'sound of the Webster OPTs'endures. I am pretty certain that those OPTs were designed for a particular tube (2A3 I beleive)and perhaps you have discovered something that the engineers did not know...what is the point in paying attention to basic engineering principals.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.