Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Thanks btw what kinda of opt did he use on your amp? NT

I guess i shouldn't have generalized so much about the 56. i believe I tried to substitute it in only one amp, and as described it has more gain than a 27 but it did not sound good. I think I had purchased a few of them on ebay, and I thought i wasted my money on this tube. But perhaps nothing can be discounted the way I did it.

The opts are particular vintage Hammond opts. Some are in amps built be Webster and I think they are in what are called tone cabinets which are speaker cabinets (with an amplifier) which were built specifically for organ amps in the 1940's. I believe they were 2a3 amps. The other ones were bigger opts in larger chasses and I'm not sure what they were in. the latter were built in the 50's. I think the first one has 60 dc resistance, and the latter ones had 120 dc resistance. I think the latter ones may have been in 6v6 amps and maybe other kinds too. They were also organ related amps.

The opts are push-pull but they are used in single ended operation which was also done by Korneff with Sansui opts in his early amps.

I don;t know why they are so magical but they are.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks btw what kinda of opt did he use on your amp? NT - njjohn 20:27:14 02/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.