Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Which tube for SET? 300b/2a3/2a3c/845/805/211...

Hmm, there are many dimensions to any advice I can provide here; here go some off the top o' my head thoughts...

I have been investigating using the 28W (dissipation, not output power) for a project; I have read a fair amount, reasoned a fair amount, and procrastinated a crap load. You may benefit (or not) from my scattered thoughts tho.

I would not try to squeeze 8W out of these tubes. The plate may hold up, tho there has been some debate as to whether the cathode will, at least WRT the Sovtecs and likely the EH; not sure about the Valve Art 2a3c. I would rather run at a 21W dissipation, but that is me.

It seems the current 2a3 tube brands sound sufficiently different to each other to make me wonder whether there is a modern 2a3 sound; I think Gordon Rankin has said as much. That said, the quality (and power):price ratio of some of these tubes seems pretty decent.

Many use 300B plates, which in combo with 2.5V filaments is supposed to sound pretty good; better than their equivalent 300B possibly, all other things being equal (things rarely are equal). I am not fully convinced, but examples include the JJ 2a3 sounding 'better' than its 300B sibling; some people prefer the EML 2a3S over their other tubes (yes, including their 45) and so on.

As for the Valve Art at 8W out sounding different to a modern 2a3 - it is hard to say if there are few normal modern 2a3 tube types. That said, I have doubts that 8W operating points would present music as well as at a lower point; tube life would also concern me. Better, perhaps, to run at 300V plate, 70mA bias and 3k-ish load for a conservative 5-ish W out. I have also thought about running them cold and high, which is supposed to increase transparency, but I am not sure these 2a3s need it?

Anyhow, I have rambled. In summary, yes the 2a3c at 8W out will probably sound different to the traditional 2a3 sound, with reduced tube life; then it may sound different even at the usual 2a3 operating points (though should have lower distortion and slightly more power, I think). I would pick a point in between...

Oh, as for power required - it depends on listening preferances (music and volume), listening room size and damp(en)ing, etc.

Hope this helps, rather than confuses.

Cheers
Raymond

Ultra-consumers: Spending money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress people they do not like.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Which tube for SET? 300b/2a3/2a3c/845/805/211... - RC Daniel 00:33:02 02/01/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.