Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: 'The OTL'; which? (NT)

Fourier Pantheres. I think they would win over set in a normal listening fashion.

I had done this comparison years ago in adjacent rooms and after 6 months of listening, I concluded that the SET was better.

This time I had them in the same room. The OTL sounded surprisingly good to me, and only shows its weakness by comparison.

A similar thing happened when I went to a Stereophile show years ago, and heard the best in show sound. It was fairly amazing but it seemed to be 'over there'. That was a P-P amp. Again showing a weakness only what I happened to know beforehand. And if I think about that experience, it was more of a cognitive experience too.

Within the past year, I went to an audio show and the best sound was with a P-P amp. You can be won over by tone, or other characteristics of the sound.

This is the fault of high-end. It's way too cognitive. Perhaps it's our era. The music certainly seems to have deteriorated, perhaps alot having to do with the way it is recorded, and the audio does not seem to have the profoundity of earlier eras.

Jazz is an easy type of music to venture into these variables because jazz, if you know it, can trigger certain particular reactions/experiences in a way similar to what I am listening for in an amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 'The OTL'; which? (NT) - njjohn 16:37:53 01/29/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.