Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

IMO the differences in the sounds of at-least-good-quality caps...

...are subtle, rather like the differences among interconnect or speaker cables--but I'm no golden-eared audiofile, just a (see my signature). Others are indeed golden-eared and can hear lots of differences among caps or cables.

Still others speak and write in superlatives, as in 'huge' improvements or 'the difference between night and day' or, my unfavorite, 'totally different'. To the latter, I ask 'totally different'? Hmm...if the system was tonally attractive and well balanced previously, it's now tonally UNattractive? If the bass was extended and well defined previously, it's now NOT extended? NOT well defined? If the midrange was highly transparent previously, it's now opaque, veiled? See what I mean?

What do YOU hear among different good-quality IC cables? IMO you're likely to hear the same kinds of differences among good caps of different types and brands.

Do understand that capacitor quality follows the same kind of rapidly rising cost v. quality that all music-reproduction equipment does--it's easy to spend 10 times as much, but for some of us, the sonic differences may not even be audible or will be, at best, subtle.
-------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and obsessed landscape fotografer.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.