Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Now, a killer 45 push/pull amp done right . . .

Well, I've heard some but I don't consider myself an expert.

It seems that the kind of transformers necessary for the very high voltages 845s operate on have their own signature. Of course as a listener, you can't distinguish - you just hear the amp/speaker combo. Unless you build yourself, there's no way to point the finger at the tube or transformer or any other part in the amp.

For my ears, 845s always sounded a bit fuzzy and fluffy and loose, especially compared to 45s which to me sound crystalline, fast and accurate and do energy. You might say that the 845s sound far push-pullier even in a single-ended circuit than 45s - again, to my ears. And I seem to be an SET man in general though I'm always open to be proven wrong in my preferences. Hence my curiosity over a superior 45 push/pull.

Of course 45s don't drive anything except for a few 100dB+ speakers (roughly) whereas 845s open the doors to a wider speaker audience. Given that you can now enjoy single-ended tube sound, there's much to be said for 845s. But in my universe, you get yourself speakers that are copasetic with micro-power SETs first, then explore the 300B, 2A3, 45, 50 and other exotic flavors that are available in that field to find out what you like. That, to me, lands you in the heartland of what that whole thing is about. Going to 845s and 211s and GM70s and 833s is a different game - high-power SETs. Mind you, I didn't say worse or better, just different. For the time being, I'm still in exploratory mode on the low-power thing - for my personal bias. When it comes to reviews, I do anything and everything I can accommodate and have suitable gear for. When it comes to what I'm personally most curious about, it's the low-power hi-eff meeting and how to maximize its magic while minimizing its liabilities. Hence Zu, WLM, Ocellia, HornShoppe and other assignments I'm planning on this year on the speaker front... if I'm "promoting" low-power SETs thru my writing and personal enthusiasm, I better also introduce speakers that work with them or I do a disservice to my readers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.