Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: SET regrets anyone, want to go back to SS?

Not me - going back because, at present, it would feel like a step back. However, this is very much dependent on having the right speakers for a SET or else, you'll sooner than later butt heads with the compromises. There are some very good solid-state amps that come very close to SETs, on speakers that are already copasetic with SETs. The Nelson Pass First Watt F3 comes to mind. Then there's the Red Wine Audio Signature 30 which actually works with speakers many SETs won't be ideal for. In which case, on those the Sig 30 will sound better. Or, by extension, any variety of superior transistor amps.

But going back to appropriate SET speakers, even the best of SET-like transistor amps, in my book, come close but still fall short on doing certain things that tubes (still?) do better. For my tastes.

So, if that's your preference and you've got the SET amp/speaker thing happy-happy, there may not be anything to unlodge you from that place other than the unavoidable curiosity about the new. Which could be a single-ended push-pull tube amp, i.e. just one pair of output tubes per side. They use different transformers and sound different but, when well done, have their own strengths which you could favor. I personally, so far, prefer SET but I can clearly hear why someone else would go with the push/pull version.

Now, a killer 45 push/pull amp done right - I might change religion for that -:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.