Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Sometimes "Watts ain't Watts"...

I tested the 125E - man, that was YEARS ago!. It is not an air-gapped design, and it falls apart pretty quickly when running DC current.

The 125ESE, and in fact the whole 125-SE series, ARE air-gapped. (Note the 125ESE is much larger than the 125E.) The only one for which data are provided is the ESE, and it has a bit less than 10 henries inductance. That's just barely adequate for 2500 ohms; using it at 5000 ohms means the bass will suffer. Read the notes on the Hammond page; they are very up-front and honest about what these transformers are and are not! The design philosophy is probably similar among the various units, and I would expect them all to have nearly the same primary inductance. You can pick a smaller one as long as it's rated for at least as much current as you plan to use (I forget the Darling current requirement). The difference will be small; a smaller unit might have slightly more extended treble.

The winding geometry is uncomplicated, which means the treble is limited in extension. Fortunately it also means the capacitance is low, which often results in what treble is there being fairly sweet sounding. As I recall (many years later) the 125E had pleasant treble.

Why not get a cheaper, smaller one, and leave room for a hifi transformer in case you really like this little amp? Have fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.