Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Just got Moth Cicadas - what SET?

Congrats on snagging a pair of Cicadas. I've owned a pair for about 5 years. I use a Moth 300B amp rated at 10 watts to power mine and have been satisfied. I thought I would pass on to you some additional information which might be helpful.

Although the Cicadas were rated at 94 db sensitivity by the factory, reviews published at the time of their introduction rated them at 92 db. I talked with some of the staff of Moth (C. Uthus and R. Escamillo) before purchasing my amp and speakers, and they felt that their 2A3 amp would only be a good match to the Cicadas in a small room. They sold both amps, at nearly the same price, so I don't feel they were just trying to get me to spend more money.

I was given the chance to purchase the speakers used in the 2001 review done by the now-defunct Listener magazine (by Art Dudley, as I recall), but I passed on the offer. Those particular speakers were finished in a very irregularly-textured black polymer instead of the shiny, burgandy-colored speakers which actually became the production standard. My speakers are serial no. 000112 and retailed for $500 a pair.

I hope this information was at least somewhat interesting/helpful to you.

Take care, my friend.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.