Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Perhaps an augmented fullrange?

For a while I had an "augmented fullrange driver" system on the market. Used the Fostex FE206E smoothed by a gentle notch filter (otherwise the lower to mid treble region is too hot) and high-pass-filtered at about 140 Hz. Bottom end provided by a low efficiency woofer in its own sub-enclosure within the cabinet, and powered by a built-in plate amp. Since using a powered woofer section is "cheating", I called it the "Cheetah". The Cheetah has been discontinued because a critical part went out of production, and its replacement drove the price up too high in my opinion.

I'm not giving away my notch filter values because I may resurrect the design some day, but I think there's a generally similar notch filter posted somewhere on the single driver website. Don't skimp on the quality of the resistor. In my opinion the FE206E is more lively-sounding than anything else near its price range, so it's worth going to a little extra trouble to use it.

Use a pressure-relief subenclosure for the Fostex, as this smooths out the impedance peak at system resonance. Otherwise your low pass filter won't be very effective. Protecting the Fostex from bass excursions improves the midrange clarity on complex passages.

Add a supertweeter if you want a little bit more air and sparkle on top.

The best-sounding fullrange driver I know of is the field-coil Supravox. But it's also a bit pricey.

Duke

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Perhaps an augmented fullrange? - Duke 23:28:07 01/02/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.