Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: You've probably seen the Altmann TT

Thank you for the link. I see he updated his site quite a bit. My mentor has been telling me about old folks using very long balsa arms before the dawn of ages, and he was urging me to try it out. I was refraining from wooden arms, until I saw the Altman site. Made a "copy" of the RB300 arm first, from pine. (That is, 12in long arm.) It is slightly more elaborate than the Altman arm, carved, and painted with shellac. I was purely shocked by its sound. The RB300 sounds like a broken metal can in comparison.
since then I went through a couple different wooden arms. A flat (also carved) 18in pine arm, and others. The best arm was a yard long arm (I used an old yardstick!) That arm had unbelievable bass and detail. On organ recording I could hear the wind whistling past the mike that was suspended somewhere high in the cathedral. After 6 mo the long arm started to bend, but ultimately I had to dismantle it, as it was definitely not cat-compatible. Now I use a "short" arm again, a mere twofooter, as it fits into the cabinet with the TT... but it does not sound nearly as good as the yard-long version. Cart (and cat;) compatibility with arm is a very finicky business.

Long (arm) live DIY!

Janos

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: You've probably seen the Altmann TT - Janos 10:51:13 12/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.