Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

watts / dB

Excellent post.
I'd add to the watts per dB requirement that multi-driver speakers need to be much more sensitive than single driver speakers. A 95dB single driver speaker is probably an easier load than a 105dB efficient 3 way horn. At loud listening volume you will probably get less distortion with the 95dB-er single driver, than with the 105dB 3-way, with SETs less than 4W. (Beyond 4W I have no experience.)

BTW, I am building a DIY driver just for curiositys sake, using a 13kGauss neodymium magnet 1in diameter with 88lbs pulling power. It's 7in paper cone, 8R copper vc, vc+cone: 6 grams total. The cone is glued with elmers glue, the vc attached with superglue. No surround nor spider so far. The thing is not too sensitive, I have to listen to it from 2in with 1W, but it has an unbeleivably clean sound I never heard anywhere. (Although it plays pretty loud with 20W, but with heavy bass the cone starts breaking up.) Like squeezing your ear to a magic hole that opens to the land of hobbits, and you hear the sounds of living miniature beings from the other side. Most spooky experience I had with audio so far.

Long live DIY,

Janos

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.