Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Atma-Sphere class A OTLs

"If you are the same Kurt that I am guessing you are, you ought to take a listen to what we've been up to in the last 8-9 years. The kit that you built really only hints at what the amps do now days."

Yes, I am probably that same Kurt you knew way back then. I contributed to ASOG and all that when I built the M60 in kit form and modified it ad infinitum and was a rather prolific writer back then. Yes, those are great amps then as I am sure they are better now, especially now that there are teflon caps to replace those polystyrenes. I wish I could afford your products today. But times have changed and I cannot afford any of your products at this time, and I was only able to afford what you had because it was in kit form back then.

And anyway, I am really quite satisfied with what I already have now. I really do believe in the SET sound for me. Even with the OPT's. But, of course, realize that I have direct-coupled passive-equalized amps with cobalt OPTs in a 45 SET package with ultrasonic AC DHT heating. And that just about trumps everything I have heard to date, P-P, SE, OTL, anything. You're not going to make me believe there's much better out there, at any price. Even if it were true, it seems inconsequential to me to try pursuing at this point.

Yes, I think I have hit the end point of this game. If I had a spare $5K to spend, I would improve the drivers of my B-D Design Oris 150's to their top of the line units. Unfortunately, we have a near zero output manufacturing country that causes the Euro to inflate to 1.33 USD from 0.87 USD in less than 5 years. So I no longer look forward to that upgrade.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.