Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

REVIEW: Audio Note Conquest 300b mono blocks Amplifier (Tube)

Model: Conquest 300b mono blocks
Category: Amplifier (Tube)
Suggested Retail Price: $7500 approx
Description: SET pure class A valve mono blocks 18 watts into 8 ohms
Manufacturer URL: Audio Note
Model Picture: View

Review by astrostar59 (A) on December 28, 2006 at 13:36:43
IP Address: 88.15.59.161
Add Your Review
for the Conquest 300b mono blocks

Update to my earlier review.

I have now had the Conquest for 2 more months. They have settled down during the burn in period. I had to run the amps for at least 200 hours before the sound stopped changing. bearing in mind the tubes were also new (TJ solid mesh gold’s, rest Philips NOS). On first switch on I knew it was a leap from my old SS amp.

But since then the sound has both expanded in width and depth, the micro dynamics and heard alongside the powering bass. Anyone who thinks SET's have loose bass and curtailed treble, I disagree! The subtlest flute texture, or cymbal rasp is clear alongside powerful and deep pounding bass lines. I guess the 4 tubes and separate mono block design helps. I can listen to ear splitting levels if I want, with no loss of control partly due to a kind 2 way horn hybrid speaker design. I do find I listen to music at louder levels anyway, as the SS amps I had were good at bass drive and dynamic, but treble quality had you diving for the volume, particularly with such revealing speakers.

Chuck rock, classical, dance, electronic or jazz at it, its the same, pure musical pleasure.

My favourite CD this week, well DVD, is Star Wars, a John Williams release with film clips, hit the lights and enjoy!

I still go on these forums because I love the hobby, but I am not sure what upgrade I will do next or when it will be. I am very content (at last) with the sound. Maybe upgrade the DAC 1.1 kit to 2.1 if Brian brings an upgrade out?

It's nice to look forward to getting home and putting the tunes on...

On another related note, I have been buying AN gear for 8 years now, and have had excellent service from Peter at AN UK. He has repaired my M3 out of warranty at no charge when I had a lightning strike on our house, and repaired (free again) a transformer failure caused by a faulty valve. I must also have driven him nuts asking advice over the years. It's good to deal with companies that care about the hobby and customer service.

Product Weakness: Not child safe, space heater.
Product Strengths: Tubes more expensive compared to running SS but much more musically rewarding. Needs careful system matching but get it right and heaven awaits.

Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Conquest Mono Block
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Audio Note M3
Sources (CDP/Turntable): none
Speakers: Zingali Overture 2's (horn hybrids)
Cables/Interconnects: Audio Note AN/v
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Classical, Dance, Jazz, Prog Rock
Room Size (LxWxH): 18 x 12 x 9
Room Comments/Treatments: Heavy drapes, thick rug, soft furniture
Time Period/Length of Audition: 2.5 months
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - REVIEW: Audio Note Conquest 300b mono blocks Amplifier (Tube) - astrostar59 13:36:43 12/28/06 (29)

You can not post to an archived thread.