Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

SET help needed

I'm at the top of the slide - looking down upon yet another "slippery slope".

I've been exposed the the "SET" sound in the worst way. I recently heard a Melody 2a3 integrated amp with Triangle floorstanders and found myself in a puddle of drool.

Now, I'm left wanting...all of it. However, I need to do it little at a time.

Today I was lucky enough to hear my beloved Paradigm Ref Studio 20 V.2's with an ASL 300b and a Modwright sw9.0 pre - though it got quite loud, both listeners conceded that the amp began to puff out on demanding standing and double bass material. I know orchestral will really give this amp/speaker combo a tough time as will lingering organ and long bass notes. I'm a mixed bag of music genres but I love my Paradigms to death.

Which of the amps (because they're in my price budget) will allow more bass control at or above moderate listening levels without puffing out on me:

A 300b amp in parallel design 18w/ch( not push/pull)
or Single ended 6c33c design approx 18w/ch
I'm also considering a push pull 6c33c design but my main concern is that I'll be giving up some of my current el34 sweetness to the 6c33 tubes dynamics in a SET or PP triode design.

Any and all help is truly truly appreciated...I've got bigger problems but this is the only one I wish to acknowledge at this moment LOL.

Happy Holidays to you all!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - SET help needed - heyeugenio 19:04:54 12/22/06 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.