Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Came back home to a SET! (long)

Welcome back indeed!

You are right. The pre amp is crucial. Maybe it's the high input impedence of many tube amps, or maybe the synergy with all tubes, but it happened to me as well. I think when the signals are at micro levels, in a pre amp, the most subtle change to the sound is crucial. A bit like having a fine grain negative, then blowing it up to a big photo. If it's got grain and grit in there, it will be pretty damb obvious when amplified again in the power amp stage.

I have an Audio Note M3 line, feeding a pair of Audio Note Conquests (4 x 300b's) and they work so well together. Prior to that I ran an SS amp out of the M3. It calmed some of the transistor grit down, but was still not really right. After the big bass and volume fun and games (so much power it was silly) I found myself listening for barely a full CD before finding something else to do.

Now I can't leave it of for long, and I really enjoy the MUSIC again.

Glad you are happy with your system. It's funny how many folk out there still get so excited by 1920's technology. Maybe they got it right back then, before we started using those silly transistor, and duped records, then started squashing music with mp3 compression. I still prefer miked recording and master tapes as tapes, not all digital. Think about it, do you hear a concert with a digital feed from every instrument. It's all too clinical. Put on Led Zepplin 1 and soak up some nice marshal amp feedback! Or some earlier orchestral recording, or live Jazz!

Music - it's life!

Astrostar59
Almeria
Spain

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Came back home to a SET! (long) - astrostar59 16:04:27 12/21/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.