Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: SETs and Dynaudio = no way

The problem here is impedance, not only sensitivity

Theory says:
Tube amps, specially SETs, have high output impedance. This makes the frecuency response of the amp to "copy" the impedance curve of the speaker.
Dynaudio impedance curve is anything but flat.
I don´t know the exact impedance curve of 3.3, I think it goes to 3 ohm, very low, between 20-200 hz, where all the bass resides, and probably also has phase deviations there.
Crossovers also suck a lot of power.

The result is that if you use a SET with Dynaudio you will obtain:
- poor bass
- great frecuency deviations
If you can live with it, it´s up to you ...

Long ago I had several Dynaudios of the Contour line and I used several amps, tube and ss.
The worst about Dynaudios for me is that acoustic music always sounded electronic.
In my experience, they liked amps with great control of the woofers and silky sound (ie Plinius), and they liked to be pushed to come alive.
With a SET amp and a 3.3 you will not have control, no volume

Currently I am an user of SETs and medium-high eff speakers (and Quad ESL)

Now audio note amps, all of them have magic with the right speaker.
18W amps, P2SE, P4, Conquest, etc could make sound from your 3.3, but I doubt you are reaching the full potential of the amps and the speaker.
AN amps work fine with Tannoys (dual concentric), Quad ESL (power-volume issues aside), AN, etc ... more or less easy loads for tubes

Now audio note speakers, they are voiced for audio note amps. With a solid state standard design the sound will be cold fish. AN speakers need some lush sounding amp to get the magic come out.

All that you read about sinergy in a complete AN system is 120% true.

It is said that M3-P2se is better combination than M2-P4 (unless you´re in love with 300B tubes)

Will you live with 3.3 and P2SE?
I´d say: try it ... and be ready to put your 3.3 for sale ... ;)

As for me, in a few weeks I´ll combine M3 preamp, P2SE and Conqueror amps, and SPx, Tannoy golds 12" and Quad ESL988 speakers.
If you are interested, drop me an email

I am from Galicia so, when you meet me in the staircase, you won´t know whether I´ll go up or down ...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.