Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Micromega Stage 3

Hi,

The Stage 3 is an excellent sounding unit, can be had on ebay for 500$ or less. Many regard it as the most analog-sounding player. There are controversies about the player, because the tray does not work properly, and the mechanics is not lubed right on some units. Be sure to get one that is in a working condition....
these players were made 10+ years ago. I abused mine severely, 5+ hours per day, sometimes continuously spinning for 15+ hours. Occasionally I left a burn-in CD on repeat for a week non-stop, and it could handle with no problem. I talked to a person, who also owned one, but got rid of it, because he read that it _could_ break. Well, every player can break... on the other hand, he admitted that the Stage was the best sounding player he ever had, and he never had problems with it. The same goes for my player, and a third one, that I came by.

I'm sure there are other great players around, and probably some, that are even better. (I have not heard Don's unit yet.) The Stage 3 has a slight midrange emphasis, or probably it would be more correct to say less than usual high end and low end over-emphasis. For the first time this seems as lacking in the extremes; people who listen to a lot of subwoofers generally find the midbase lacking. Later on I realized that the extremes are there, rich in harmonic detail, and very extended, and most other players are bloated and shrill in comparison.
However, each ear has a different sensitivity, and this player might be for you if you have radar ears, value harmonic richess, natural sound. However, it is not a dramatic sounding unit, trying to impress in 10 minutes, but a player designed to be listened to hours a day, for years.

Good luck finding a player!

Janos

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Micromega Stage 3 - Janos 16:24:54 12/15/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.