Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: SET and HT system

I'm using my Push-Pull 6B4G amp to power my not very efficient front speakers. The amp puts out maybe 10wpc, more than a 2A3, but not a lot.

I use my Outlaw 1050 pre-outs straight into the 6B4G for the fronts when I'm watching a movie. For regular TV watching, and the way it is usually connected, I have the Outlaw tape-outs going into my Aikido pre and using that to control the volume. Satellite and DVD optical outputs go into the Outlaw for the DAC, although I can bypass the Outlaw completely as well by using the stereo line outs from them.

When a DVD is in, I usually also turn on the subwoofer, a rather large SVS with a 200w amp. With my setup this way, I can turn it up as loud as I ever want it to be and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. It's a small room. Using the sub protects my speakers and amp as neither has to use much power for the bass. For music, the sub is off. My main speakers go very low on their own, down to 28hz, which is plenty low.

I'm always amazed by how much better the setup sounds when I use the Aikido as the pre instead of letting the Outlaw control the volume even though I use the Outlaw for the DAC. All the graininess disappears, the space comes back, the bass has a thwack and you can hear them plucking the strings.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SET and HT system - zacster 10:40:26 12/13/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.