Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: A well beat-up subject, yet questions remain

Thank you Paul.

I appreciate your well spoken and reasoned commentary. I've never participated in a forum really, so I'm just getting up to speed on understanding the boundaries and depths that other participants have
established. As a guitar player (also) I know that theoretically "bad"
quality materials and even designs can still sound "great", but that world has a lot more voodoo than hi-fi, mainly because of the one HUGE variable: The player.
I'll admit that having been a player for 30 years (several instruments) helps me "hear" and constructively critique hi-fi reproduction, because I really know in my cellular memory "what it's supposed to sound like". I also believe that hearing is one of the senses that has a direct correlation with speed of brain, and an ability to complexly anticipate, because of understanding well the roles of the players who are playing what you are listening to.
In the end, it's all a lie anyway, because it's still "reproduced"
sound. But not getting stuck on that, we can enjoy many players who are, dead for example. So, it's all still worth "most" of the trouble...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: A well beat-up subject, yet questions remain - bobbyj 22:28:26 12/12/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.