Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I'll try

We audio geeks are a funny breed. Somebody else would read your post and say the guy knows what he likes so why does he want to change? Sadly I understand why:)

Notice that Gary has no power supply shown. Hmmm, could it be that the power supply isn't the important part? Instead I'd point to a few big items. Number one, just about everything has an active load. Number two, pains are taken to keep the voltages where they should be on stages that operate with constant current. Number three and the biggie IMHO, the circuit strives to keep audio circuits in a tight loop and return them locally rather than through a common ground and/or power supply. I think this is key and I see it happening time and again on better designs. Moreso in push pull than SET but still there is a common thread.

A choke, transformer, or a CCS helps "isolates" the circuit from the power supply. Ditto on the parafeed with the cap to cathode on 300B. I suggest you look more into these areas. I think parafeed may bring you some of the improvments in bass you seek.

With regards to the low dcr stuff....I have looked into it a bit and in fact dcr has little if anything to do with it. The main interesting point is the voltage on the first cap is greater than 1.4 times the secondary voltage. Circuit values are critical. I would not advise the design for anyone other than an expert who was looking for a challenge.

A little time spent with Duncan's PSUD will show a very low DCR supply rings like crazy. If you are interested in the low dcr thing and understanding it better search on "flywheel" over at tube diy.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I'll try - Russ57 11:39:43 12/12/06 (3)
    • Re: I'll try - bobbyj 22:06:38 12/12/06 (2)
      • IMHO - Russ57 05:09:45 12/13/06 (1)
        • Re: IMHO - bobbyj 11:10:20 12/13/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.