Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: And a good opinion at that!

Thanks for the "feedack". I guess I knew I wouldn't get any (or many) hard facts by just asking for them, and placing the responsibility back upon myself, and my experiments, is appropriate. Honestly.

Although I can "like" a variety of amplifier circuits, I always end up
preferring (or "coming home" to) a single 45 or 2A3, AC filament, and just a single low or medium mu triode in front. To me it's really just splitting hairs between RC coupled(choke or resistively loaded), IT coupled or direct coupled. I'll admit that a DRD direct coupled version, has a little "something" extra. I have found when direct coupling anything, lower (or very low) ripple in the PSU is "required". I achieve this the standard way with sizable chokes and modest cap values. Perhaps because the amp circuit doesn't have huge voltage or current demands (in a relative sense) the "highish" DCR
supply I make, "performs pretty well", at least it sounds very good.
I guess because I feel lucky in a sense to have "committed" to this
simple amp type, I don't seem to need to confuse myself (at the moment) by searching for another. So, still being a busy brain, I guess the place to focus, is on seeing whether I can "support" this
simple SE 2A3 "better" by investigating PSU "improvements". When I look at Gary Pimm's SE 300B schematic and the commentary, and because I somehow like and respect him (even though I don't know him) I start wondering what elements of his design could I apply to my lower power version. Because I guestimate that I have good output iron already,
am OK with the AC filament hum level (which I can't hear when tuned out) the frontier is about tighter bass, speed and darkness of silence or background. These fringe characteristics are probably about loading and/or PSU. Again, because of the "relatively" low demands of the little amp, improvements are most likely to be in a world beyond anything I can devise out of purely organic "combinations" and enter into, unfortunately, things I don't quite understand. There are obvious "losses" occurring in conventional loading, as small as they may be. This seems like a place to investigate. Any further comments directed to the more specific case I've described would be greatly welcomed. thanks

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: And a good opinion at that! - bobbyj 10:06:33 12/12/06 (4)
    • I'll try - Russ57 11:39:43 12/12/06 (3)
      • Re: I'll try - bobbyj 22:06:38 12/12/06 (2)
        • IMHO - Russ57 05:09:45 12/13/06 (1)
          • Re: IMHO - bobbyj 11:10:20 12/13/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.