Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: SET and HT system

My impression is that sets offer the best possible home theater sound. My goal was for the most natural and realistic sound possible and I feel like I achieved it with the sets along with a few other ideas.

I started the home theater experience a few years ago. I started with a good pioneer home theater amp/processor hooked up to my speakers. When I switched to using the amp ouputs to basically some old garbage vintage tube amplifiers, I think it was about a fourfold(400 percent)improvement in the sound. When I switched to a preamp processor only, not the amp processor, the sound again improved. When I switched to set amps, I reached a very satifying naturalism and realism. When I dumped the processor altogether, and found a dvd player with an onboard processor, the naturalism/realism greatly increased.

I basically stopped there but I may have to eventually rethink it as I switch some from dvd movies to watching HD tv, and now wanting to hook that up to the set amps.

The choice of set amps, the output tubes, depends on the speakers you have to work with. You really don't need as much power in each speaker situation as you normally would for stereo since there is a cumulative effect of sound from all the speakers.

I have a 5 channel set-up. You certainly could use 2a3 in any channel/s depending on the effeciency speakers you have.

I just have a 61 inch rear projection hd tv. I have quite a few good quality klipsch mid range speakers for center channel. For left and right front I use to have the paradign studio 100's v.2 which have very good soundstage, but I switched to the f200a single driver speakers built by Kloss because I had them in the house. For rear left and right, I have overkill speakerlab k-horns. I also have a monsterous fried 250 lb subwoofer which can rattle the house and the neighborhood. Iuse a denon dvd player which I greatly prefer over pioneer.

For set amps, I have a 10y/300b for center. I choose a set amp with the good clarity for that situation. I use an 845 amp for left-right front, and 6sn7/45's for the rears. For the sub, i just use one of the inexpensive vintage amps like a bogen or something like that. I made those selections a while ago. I guess I could review/change the choice of amps at this point to maxemize the sound, if I had a chance.

For many a movie that I have played, the best compliment I could give it is that I forgot about the sound. It was so natural that I never thought about the sound as a seperate entity from the movie, As you can get immersed in a movie, you can just get immersed in the movie/sound. This is quite a bit different than getting into the special sound/effects of home theater sound where you may go 'Wow' to the effects. Rather naturalness is more important to me. I'm not trying to achieve a "good sound" either; I'm trying to achieve an in the room you are there naturalness, using the home theater effect too to add on to the dimensionality and three-dimensional sense of set sound.

Sorry I only had a few minutes for this post and had to run it off.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.