Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: speaker compatibility with tube amp

Hey intojazz:

Try and audition some of the CR Developments products. Their Romulus with 2 6L6 tubes per side should be more than enough for your Thiels. For more power yet, and a low-end that sounds incredibly powerful, authoritative yet very fast and tight, try their Woodham KT88.

I've had my Romulus for quite a few years now, and I must say, it is the finest 2-channel integrated I own. Nothing can touch it for speed, detail and accuracy. If you want warm-fuzzy tube sound this is NOT the amp for you - very faithful uncolored reproduction with just a nice "pinch" of the coveted 300B tube sound.

I also use Marantz products (I use a 6-channel Marantz SR6200 in 6-channel input mode to tri-amp my main tower speakers) and as GOOD as the Marantz sound for "upper mid-fi" components, when I switch back to the Romulus I a left wishing that I could afford three super valve amps for tri-amping. One day, perhaps.

If you can audition one of these babies, I certainly would. You don't have to refinance the house to get one either.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: speaker compatibility with tube amp - Presto 09:46:05 12/10/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.