Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Can you identify this mystery transformer?

Thank you for taking a stab at this. Yes. I'm guessing that the primary impedance is 5K, as you say, but would like to take Sector-7G's advice (in a different reply) and attempt a measurement as well.

The view from the bottom (which wasn't in the original post) suggests that the connections may not be as simple as you suggest. I'm almost certain that the two thin wires on the left (red and black) are the primaries. Both are stranded (unlike the three wires at the right). A resistance measurement gives 154.2 ohms, implying that they represent the two ends of a single wire. Also the resistance between either of the two wires on the left and any of the three wires on the right is infinite, suggesting that the wires on the right are the secondaries. If left is primary and right secondary, it seems that the primaries (black and red) don't use the standard color code after all, unfortunately.

Now, on to the three wires on the right. What I believe to be the secondaries are yellow, orange (which looks red in the picture), and blue. The yellow wire has one solid conductor, the orange has three, and the blue has four. So, the secondaries have no black wire at all. As a result, I don't know which wire is the output common. Is the one with four conductors (blue) the common? That might mean that the orange is 8 ohms and the yellow 16 ohms, as per the standard. Or is it 4 and 8?

So, I remain confused about how the secondaries are configured, that is, which wire is common, which represents 8 ohms, etc. Maybe knowing more about how the secondaries are constructed (single wire, three wires twisted together, and four wires twisted together) will give you more food for thought.

Again, I appreciate your help on this.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.