Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: My 45 collection.

I just think that the 6sn7 especially a fi primer one provides the 'bloom' in the sound. Perhaps the high-end moved away from it towards more articulation. I think if you put a middle driver in like a 26 tube, then the sound can really go in a nice direction. The pentode driver offers the advantage of just needing one driver tube and it might have better characteristics for lots of situations than the 6sn7.

The 6sn7 seems to suit the 300b pretty well. I forgot that I have an 8th 45 amp which is a pair of 6sn7/45 monos. i'm not sure how I really feel about them. When I first heard them at John's, he had built them for me, (it wasn't what I really asked for but it was what he felt like building, he didn't feel like using two drivers,) I found something really riveting about the sound. There have been times when I played them when I have sat there riveted. But I not sure if they really measure up to some of the other 45 amps. I'm not sure if a 6sn7 and a 45 a really suited enough for each other.

When you are really looking for the best 45 in one system, then you might be looking for the best balanced one or you have an interest in particular characteristics. But if you have a few systems, then you can play with enjoying some of the characeristics of what a particular amb/combo may offer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: My 45 collection. - njjohn 14:52:52 12/02/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.