Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: My 45 collection.

Yah stop hoarding and share the wealth. Even more to throw into the quation, old transformers.

Interesting thoughts on left/right brain. It seems the 6sn7 suggestion keeps coming up and maybe I should not dismiss it since if opposite of hi-fi sound is my goal then maybe I should just get one and find out for myself if I like it.

My next goal would be to find one that does not have that "mush sound" as some have written about as well as providing an acceptable amountof detail. On the diy design side there seems to be quite a few including the JELabs, Walton, and the suggested Fi primer to name a few. However if I instead bought a commercial amp and did not like it I guess I could allways sell it should I not like this sound. I am a little bit worried that in the end this may happen as I have never read anyone describe a 6sn7 amp to have the often described 45 SET sound of "being there" and if it doesn't sound like a live performance then this whole exercise might be a waste of time. A characteristic I would too greatly miss from my 845.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.