Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: not necessarily! late-night musings

Hey John,

I love my amps and as far as 45s are concerned I only wish I had one of John Hogan's... But, my local friend has John's 45, PX-25 monoblocks, etc. amps (4 or 5 different ones in total), so I can go borrow one any time. He'll NEVER sell them, unfortunately for me. You have any for sale? If so, I'd never sell or I'd sell back to you only...

Anyway, I like the left brain / right brain comparisons above. I'm a left brainer all the way EXCEPT when it comes to music and my system. John's amps just sound so right to me making it easy to gloss over left-brain perceptions. I knew I was on to something with John's amps when I A/B'd one with an Art Audio Diavolo. The Diavolo was/is truly impressive (should be for the money) but not once did I think I was cheated or short-changed with John's amps. By the way, my friend with all of the Hogan amps, that he won't sell, is selling his Art Audio Jota. Says quite a bit I think. No, John's amps ain't perfect, some would say far from perfect depending on perspective, but there's obviously somethin' about 'em... I get it...

Just curious, but have you heard any of Don Allen's amps? He's building a phonostage for me with some step-ups and I've heard good things about all of his offerings. His amps are supposed to be "quiet" with very little to no 60/120 cycle hum, especially his 45s. I remember John saying he didn't like any amp without ac across the board, as you said above, and some amount of hum...

Always a pleasure reading your posts.

Thanks,

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.