Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Ping ! Restock

There are a few pictures of the Fi Y and Super X posted in my Audiogon system. Both the Y and X have tbe special order handpolished finish and are really beautiful.

This is still by far the best sounding combo I tried on the Abbys. It has a tigher bass than any other tube unit I tried, I lively sound with lots of drive. I do not notice any power limitation in my system in a medium sized room. piano is presented with impact and verve, capturing particualry well all the details and mechanics of the piano. I don't think I heard piano with more realism in other systems.

As for noise, the Super X is very quiet by itself but in combination with the Y I do get some light hum and tube rushing noise. Some of this is due to the high gain of the Y (23dB!!), but part seems to be inherent in the design that makes it more sensitive to noisy tubes. Using very quiet tubes and power conditioner, nois is now so far down that I don't notice it at my seating position, 6ft away from my 95dB efficient Abbys. Also, if you order a Fi Y from Don, ask him to attenuate 2-3 inputs by more that he does usually (two of my inputs are attenuated by 8dB, which results in still too much gain for my CDP with 2.3V output)

The noise and the high gain are about the only downsides for the Fi combo (well, the missing remote maybe).

Feel free to drop me an email anytime. I have a few more pictures available for the Fi. We can even chat over the phone, if you like some more impressions.

All the best,

Rene

Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derjenigen, die die Welt nicht angeschaut haben.
Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.