Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

not necessarily! late-night musings

I think you just have these great opts in the amps and the various directions are all welcome. With ac across the board, and with everything interacting with each other; that is, the opts, the ac, the set characteristics, and if the 6sn7 is really a fi primer circuit, you have additional dimensionality and harmonics to almost a mystical degree, you have something that is real potent and perhaps way more interesting than a more sterile high-end direction in sound.

I think you might be pointing out flaws in the left-brained language being used to describe the situation, where the whole thing is really more of a right brain, or primitive type of brain thing, or emotive type of thing. Maybe you are saying you really prefer a right brain sound to a left brain one.

I heard very old Western Electric speakers. Left brain cognitive thought might say they suffer from a lack of wide enough band width, and right brain might know that these are the best speakers ever made.

I think sound and music should go in some type of primal direction, and that music reproduction is at the highest level when it is art itself.

I'm not going to short change the situation. I think in the whole package there are fundamental differences in the presentation of sound that these opts offer. The sound leads to a certain soundstage realism that seems to have some fundamental differences between it and a regular high-end sound, and even between it and other set amps that I have heard.

I remember going to a show once and in one room this guy trying to place more than two speakers in various locations around the room to try to achieve something. I think we have to push sound in various directions.

Even if you are dealing with what might be a slightly flawed situation with an idht driver, the whole package and even in the flaws, certain listening potentials might be triggered.

The 45 is really something special and probably makes for a better overall amp. But maybe that is only more of a comparative thing, and the 300b cannot be discounted by any means. You can really go further in some directions with the 300b.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.