Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

To double the apparent loudness of music takes 8 - 10 dB more power.

You own the amp and speakers. Listen to them. If your happy, pour your self a glass of Balvenie Double Wood, sit down and relax to music.

If you still want to scratch the "speaker itch", bring your old SS amp and your new tube amp to a friend’s house or a real "Audio" dealer and listen there. Don't let the watts bother you. Power amps watts have been abused by marketeers almost as much as blondes have sitting on cars.

Depending on the source you quote, to double the apparent loudness of music takes 8 - 10 dB more power.
3 dB is 2X the power, 10 dB is 10X the power. 20 dB is 100X the power. 30 dB is 1000x the power.

Example:
In my office at night I used to listen with a 1/4W tube headphone amp driving my 93 dB/W speakers which would be about 87 dB max output. With the doors closed, this doesn't bother Mrs. Volt trying to sleep two rooms over and I’m happy with the volume.

During the day, I've play with a 1W class A amp (8W peak) that goes as loud as I want on the same speakers (93 dB). Monitoring the output of the 1W amp playing music, I normally don’t exceed 2W peak, which is 1W class A

Play safe and play longer! Don't be an "OUCH!" casualty.
Unplug it, discharge it and measure it (twice) before you touch it.

. . .Oh!. . .Remember: Modifying things voids their warranty.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • To double the apparent loudness of music takes 8 - 10 dB more power. - VoltSecond 19:55:26 11/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.