Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: What are the " typical lush/liquid/sweet 300b amps"?

The 300b is a little sweeter to begin with that say a 45 or 2a3 tube. Maybe that is the reason for the idea of lushness. But depending on the driver tube, you can manipulate the sound in various ways.

I find that an idht driver tube is more 'lush' than other types of driver tubes. Examples of the idht that I am familar with are the 27 and the 76 tubes.

The 6sn7 is a double idht so that is a little more along a lush sound but I wouldn't really call it that. If you use a fi primer circuit, I would describe the sound as a little more enchanting and mystical.

The opposite of that can almost be using a 10y driver tube, a dht that is very articulate but I have found that it is hard not to be fatiquing.

I find that a pentode driver has more of the best of both worlds, not really sweet but full, and pleasant with good articulation.

A pure dht amp can be more primary in the sound. Maybe it does not have the second order harmonics at all, but can be pure and elemental in the sound. It is more of the opposite of lush.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.