Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Don's very high eff speakers, a true 2 way that can go down to 24hz

I see in reading your system setups you own quite a bit of Don gear too. My first item was the phono stage, I was hooked from there.

These speakers are by far the most intriguing Don item. I like many other tube/high eff hobbyist have always yearned for a TRUE 2way that could really do low bass. Well after buying all this Don gear and never once having any of it fall short of Dons word or others testimonies, I cant imagine these speakers wont live up to their rep also. Heres the low down of what I understand.

Its a two way system comprised of a 15 inch coax driver. Don himself uses the now discontinued Emminence CX15 driver (I found a pair on the bay) however Don said these new P-Audio 15 inch coax drivers work great also, he has friends in AZ that use these drivers in their speakers with great results. The cabinet is a large ported design however the key is how the inside is treated with 2 different VERY common items. I really cant give the little secret away as much R&D went into this design, however as mentioned in a thread I posted before, these treatments are used by another designer and listed in a well known DIY (paradise) site if you dig into it :-) However the cabinet is half the battle, Don spent much time and energy in developing his “doesnt care xover”. He and a friend hand wind the coils and Don has gone through several versions of the xover to get to the point that its at now. He sells the xovers for $300, a fair price considering the work. So for around $400 for a new pair of P-Audio drivers (depends on the model you want but Don recommends the less expensive ones with the exposed horn in the center) and $300 for his xovers and (if your handy with wood, Im not so Im having a local cabinet maker build my cabs) the cost of the cabinets you get a 100+ db speaker that Don and others claim can go as low as 24hz. I know it sounds nuts as the free air resonance of the drivers is in the mid 40s but these cab treatments along with all the other system aspects really make the difference. I will report back on my findings hopefully around the end of the year. Right now my time is VERY limited and have a few other projects to get out of the way.

I just got off the phone with Don an hr ago. Getting the scoop on my amps and pre that will (hopefully) arrive this Fri. Im so glad I no longer have to play the audio gear guessing game anymore.

All the best

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.