Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: The simple answer is NO.... totally agree but..

...Derek Walton who has the step by step primer on the DIY JE Labs 300b SET mono block plans had on his website that he ran his 87dB efficient speakers with his 8 wpc 300B mono block amps. I would never do this myself. I try to inform folks that people who jump into SET with the wrong speakers can end up hating it and wind up with a bad experience for all SET amplifiers. Find some good speakers to match up with your new amps. If you buy used speakers to save money it is hard to beat Klipsch Cornwall, Altec duplex, Valencia, Model 19 and many other very efficient speakers. All save the Valencia can be had used for under $1K. Have fun as you learn. Reading in the archives here you can find lots of speakers that are easy to drive with SET amps. I used to let friends hear my 2-way 6' tall horns with twin 15" woofer bass bins that used to be powered with a single pair of 1.7 wpc amps when they came over. The amps were the Welborne 45 DRD tube rectified mono blocks that easily powered those 100dB plus efficient speakers. I now biamplify with a active crossover with 45 and 300B SET mono amps. The 45 vacuum tube is one of my favorites for very realistic sounding vocals and midrange heard through my large horns. John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The simple answer is NO.... totally agree but.. - John Chleapas 22:56:30 11/25/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.