Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I agree with a lot that Prof Brooks says, but would say it differently

Are you aware that at times, these "reviewers" get a "long term loan", or outright gift - as in years, on equipment that they review?

Basically, you need to keep in mind that "they are being paid to say it" in one way or another.

Further - even people with "golden ears" or 'trained ears" hear things differently and have different tastes.

I will say that I do believe that "making a buying decision from a reveiw" is a likely recipe for unhappiness.

You're going to have to hear it for yourself, in your room, with the rest of your system to know whether you'll like it.

You are prejudiced by your own tastes, influenced by the largest piece of audio equipment you have (your room)and highly afffected by the "synergy" of your system.

Further, your tastes will likely change over time.

There is no "one" best.

Better to realize it, buy used and keep selling and trading and buying until you are happy with your system.

Isn't that a little expensivie? Yeah. But not more expensive than golfing, titty bars, racing, competitive shooting, etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I agree with a lot that Prof Brooks says, but would say it differently - Triodeuser 05:29:23 11/22/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.