Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Language is a virus from outer space (long)

I am looking for my next amp.
I read these things and wonder if anyone knows what they are talking about. I have not heard he Yamamoto amp, but keep hearing raves, until Mr. Tone measurements hits a wall of 'distortion'. The funny thing is Mr. Srajan claims absolute linearity in his auro-centric assesment. The sad thing is it will be very difficult to hear the Yamamoto without buying it myself, and am stuck having to read between the lines of these inadequate, highly subjective talking heads.

^^The Yamamoto can and does bite when the material warrants. Its flavor is one of velocity, rhythmic elan and pungency. Think texturally lean but tonally full, quite a mean trick. Like the Yamamoto, the Fi does tone without excess THD (no 'deep triode' anywhere in sight).^^

^^These measurements were performed on the left channel. As can be seen from the plot of THD+N against frequency (fig.6), the two channels differed significantly when it came to linearity. The right channel (solid trace) was actually quite a bit better than the left. And other than the rise in THD at low frequencies, due to the output transformer's core starting to saturate, the measured THD remains constant with frequency.

Fig.6 Yamamoto A-08, THD+N (%) vs frequency at 1V into (from bottom to top): 8, 16, 4, 2 ohms (left channel dashed).
Srajan Ebaen on 6 moons
The spectrum of the distortion is heavily second-harmonic, at least into 8 ohms from the left channel (fig.7), though at low frequencies, odd-order harmonics are also apparent (fig.8). Peculiarly, other than the second, the even-order harmonics decrease considerably in level at lower powers of low frequencies (fig.9). Finally, as I expected, the A-08 performed dismally on the high-frequency intermodulation test (fig.10), the 1kHz difference component reaching –45dB (0.6%) and the higher-order spuriae –38dB (1.2%). ^^
John Atkinson in Stereophile

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Language is a virus from outer space (long) - HiFiOd 07:35:05 11/21/06 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.