Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Break-In....

I know someone who claims he went over 500 hours with a pricy Teflon cap, and ultimately lost faith that it would ever sound right.... He admitted having delusions that it was about to be something special, but then when others would listen, reality crept in.....

I've personally made such claims in the past, but in retrospect, it turned out to be wishful thinking. Live and learn.

I have never heard a product, be it an audio component, loudspeaker, or electronics device, that to me sounded awful at the outset and then sounded great later. (The only products I've heard improve to any appreciable degree with break-in is loudspeakers. But still never really liked a speaker that I thought was mediocre at first listen.)

Although I have had a few experiences in the opposite direction, where I thought it was great at first but couldn't live with it later. Most notably with non-oversampling DACs and a few speakers. (You'll find some of my initial raves here on the Asylum.)

I also never paid much attention to how many hours an audio component has logged. Save for phono cartridges.
Affordable Health Care

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Break-In.... - Todd Krieger 09:04:21 11/17/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.