Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I had an improvements plan BEFORE I received them.

This time I'm starting with the main (output-stage) powersupply. Altho all the several PSs in the amp share the transformer, the main supply is separate from rest starting with the transformer's secondary winding, and it feeds ONLY the OPT and tube. This 960VDC PS is a CLC with a pair of Nippon Chemicon 270/500 'lytics in series in each pole, with no bypass caps. I'm increasingly convinced that the quality of the DC delivered by the PS is a larger determinant of final sound quality than the signal circuitry, so I'll be replacing all caps. In the 1st pole, I'll use 390/500 Panasonic TS-UPs. In the 2nd pole, I plan to use a combination of a Solen 51/1500 and a Capacitor Industries 50/660VAC 'propylene-in-oil motor-run cap with a '1200VDC' Cardas GR bypass. The MR cap is about 2.3" diameter and 7-1/4" tall, so it'll go outside initially. After I'm in love with the sounds of my improved powersupply, I'll probably add a base to the amp for the caps.

For couplers I'll be using Jensen PIO/copper-foils for the 1st time, probably bypassed with 0.1 SoniCap Platinums.

We'll see and hear!

-------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and obsessed landscape fotografer.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I had an improvements plan BEFORE I received them. - jeffreybehr 09:47:50 11/14/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.