Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

A possible alternative, just in case.

FWIW, I am using the Almarro A205A mk2 with my Omega Super 3s in a very small room and the results are surprisingly good. I realize that the Almarro is a single ended PENTODE amp with only two inputs, but I thought that I would share my enthusiasm with you because you are scrutinizing cost. The little Almarro has plenty of gain and drive with the Super 3s, and the only thing lacking is deep bass. I think the lack of deep bass is mostly a function of the Super 3 and not the amp, and you will get better results with the XRS version anyway. Self noise on the Almarro is debatable. There is a small amount of hum that I can hear when I am about 4 feet away from the amplifier and the house is dead quiet. The power transformer hum has subsided quite a bit actually and I can only hear hum from the speakers with my ear very close to the driver (inches away). No hiss.

If I may make a suggestion to you BEFORE you take the plunge on a new SET amp for your Omegas : Burn them in first. Burn in those Super 3s (XRS) long and hard and when you believe that you are finished burning them in do it all over again. (Don't blow them up though!) I'm not joking, don't let those puppies rest for the first month of their lives and run a small signal through them at night while you sleep! If you have a cheap solid state amp or a tube amp that you don't mind leaving on all the time then use that for a while just for running them in. Don't get discouraged either because if you can stick it out I think that you will really enjoy the Omegas in the long run.

Have fun! :>)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A possible alternative, just in case. - Quiet Earth 16:11:28 11/13/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.