Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

EL84 SEP - pretty amazing

I'm testing a EL84 SEP (that's SE Pentode) design. It started with a biamped Motorola comsole chassis with two 6BQ5 HF amps and a mono 6V6PP bass amp.

What amazes me is I am measuring 17 watts at 1khz to 15khz with only 2% distortion on the EL84's. Now the tube manual does state this power level but not the distortion which is amazingly low for an SE at this power level. That's using the stock OPT's which are tiny. With a cheap Hammond 125CSE, I get down 1.5% thd. Now of course below 1khz, things go bad prety fast but for an HF amp crossed at 1khzwe don't care. The 6BQ5 needs 8v of drive to put out 17w so a good driver would be a SRPP. Presently I'm driving with my signal generator, a Heath IG82.

I am thinking of replacing my 6V6 PP feedback hf amps with this design. I have yet to listen to it. I don't consider triode operation feasible as you get about 1.6 watts max. There must be something else evil here as it can't be this simple to make a good HF amp - or is it?

Comments?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - EL84 SEP - pretty amazing - gusser 18:00:15 11/07/06 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.